Puccini arrived in Torre del Lago for the first time in June, 1891.
After having lived in a rented house for a number of years, as
soon as he could afford it, after the success of Manon Lescaut
(1893) and La bohème (1896) , he bought the present building,
which was an old guard tower on the Archduke’s estate, and had it
completely rebuilt. At the
same time he obtained permission from Marquis Carlo Ginori, owner of the
lake, to fill in a part in front of the villa in order to make a garden
and build the road outside the garden fence.
The house, sober and elegant, was fitted with all comforts, from
central heating to the telephone.
loved living in Torre del Lago where he could go hunting and enjoy the
peace he needed for his work.
"La bohème" club
Torre del Lago he composed most of his operas:
Maestro composed above all during the night.
Whenever possible he went hunting which was an extremely easy
pursuit owing to the position of the house. He kept his boats right in
front of the fence and the lake and adjacent wetlands were the
undisputed domain of Puccini and his hunting mates.
Puccini family led the simple life of a middle-class family: the house
was frequented by people of all social classes. The fishermen and
hunters of Torre del Lago were the Maestro’s habitual companions. He
was also friendly with a number of painters living in Torre del Lago
like Ferruccio Pagni, Plinio Nomellini and others who frequented this
agreeable lakeside locality including Leonetto Cappiello and the Tommasi
brothers. Marquis Ginori, Counts della Gherardesca, Duke Salviati, the
Orlando family and the poet Giovanni Pascoli were friends of the
1921 Puccini left Torre del Lago and moved to the villa he had had built
in Viareggio in the new Marco Polo quarter; he lived there until 1924,
the year of his death.
his father’s death, Antonio Puccini, the Maestro’s only son, had the
chapel built inside the Torre del Lago villa and Puccini’s body was
brought there on 29 November 1926. Other members of the family were
later buried there.